Home safety checklist
Use the Home Safety Checklist to spot possible dangers in your home. As you find potential dangers, work with your family to eliminate those dangers and make your home safer.
- Are pot handles turned inward when cooking?
- Do you store food and household cleaners separately?
- Are knives and other sharp items out of child’s reach?
- Do you wipe or pick up spilled water, grease or food peelings immediately?
- Do you dry your hands before handling an electrical appliance?
- Do your kitchen appliances have the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) designation?
- Do you keep kitchen cabinets, doors and drawers closed?
- Do you use microwave-safe containers for microwave cooking?
- Are potholders, dishtowels and spice racks away from the stove so they won’t catch fire?
- Do you keep a pot lid near the stove to smother flames from a grease fire?
- If there are small children in your home, have you installed child-resistant safety latches on all cabinets?
- Do you have plenty of light at the stove; sink and countertop work areas, especially where you cut food?
- Does your tub or shower have a slip-resistant surface to stand on?
- Are grab bars securely fastened?
- Are medicines clearly labeled?
- Is the medicine chest cleaned out regularly in order to get rid of expired medication?
- Is the toilet seat and lid kept down when not in use?
- Are medicines in child-resistant containers?
- Are there safety latches on all drawers or cabinets?
- Are hair dryers and other appliances stored away from sink, tub and toilet?
- Are medicines, cosmetics, sprays, cleaners, mouthwash, hair care products, etc., out of children’s reach?
- Do you store breakable bottles and jars where they can’t be shattered?
- Are space heaters kept away from curtains and flammable materials?
- Are cosmetics and perfumes stored out of a child’s reach?
- Is there a lamp or light switch within reach of bed? Falls can happen easily in a dark room.
- Are children’s beds placed away from all windows?
- Can you reach your clothes in the closet and the dresser?
Garage / Basement / Utility Room
- Are insect spray and weed killers in a locked area?
- Are gasoline and car products in a locked storage cabinet?
- Are oily rags and cleaning cloths in a metal receptacle?
- Are flammable products in safety cans and stored separately in a well-ventilated storage area?
- Are all cleaners and paint products in their original containers?
- Do you check the area around the car before you back it out of the garage?
- Do you keep the garage door open whenever you run the car engine inside the garage?
- Do you inspect your garage door regularly for broken or worn parts?
- Are stairways kept clear and uncluttered?
- Are stairs and hallways well lit?
- Are rugs and runners skid-proof?
- Are rugs and carpets free of curled edges, worn spots and rips?
- Are curtain cords and shade pulls kept out of children’s reach?
- Are guards or screens installed around fireplaces, radiators, hot pipes, and wood-burning stoves?
- Are smoke detectors installed on each level? \
- Are smoke detector batteries changed every six months and checked monthly?
- Are sharp edges of furniture cushioned with corner guards or other materials?
- Do you keep the instruction manuals for your appliances so you can check if something goes wrong?
- Do you know where the emergency shutoffs are located for electrical, gas and water service?
- Are plastic bags kept out of a child’s reach?
- Is the thermostat on the water heater set to 120 F?
- Do you have an emergency exit plan to use in case of fire?
- Does your family practice using this emergency exit plan?
- Is a list of emergency phone numbers, such as police, fire, doctor, and poison control next to each phone?
- Are unused electrical outlets covered with safety covers?
- Are windows secured with window locks?
- Are all stairways in good condition, with no broken, sagging or sloping steps?
- Are there sturdy handrails or banisters by all steps and stairs?
- Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?
- Are poisonous plants kept out of children’s reach?
- Do you have Syrup of Ipecac in you home for use as directed in poisoning emergencies?
- Do you have a sturdy stool that you can use to reach high cupboards and shelves?
- Can you walk across every room in your home without detouring around furniture?